Wednesday 25 January 2012

Laura McGrath


The objects and jewellery that I make are abstracts of the things I think about and research within my practice.  They are the staring points for broader exploration and are usually the precursor to other activities such as reading and writing.  The themes and ideas brought up by this research then feed back into the physical act of making and are a way of continuing my practice as an artist. 
I am principally interested in the object’s ability to act as a carrier for personal or social meaning.  Part of my exploration of this is to present and comment on their counter ability to be viewed as empty, meaningless and alienating.  For me, the designed object is a representation of human will over nature and man’s need for the meaningful to be made tangible. 
I graduated in 2011 with an MA in Goldsmtihing, Silversmithing, Metalwork and Jewellery from the Royal College of Art in London.  In 2010 I was fortunate enough to win The South Square Trust Scholarship and I have exhibited internationally, most notably as part of a group show Silver Where? at Gallery SO, Brick Lane, London and Let’s Have a Look at Gallery Marzee, Nijmegen, Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment